Council recognises the need to provide for the consideration of innovative/alternative construction techniques that are either:
- Due to site specific constraints.
- Related to an innovative or new design.
- New construction technology.
CS-1.15.1 Alternative Construction Proposals
Alternative construction proposals shall display the following:
- An outline of the construction principles and methods.
- How the alternative construction:
- Technique will deliver the approved design.
- Method is supported by sound industry practice.
- Technique will ensure the infrastructure constructed will meet Council’s infrastructure design life.
- Technique will ensure that the infrastructure constructed will meet Council’s current levels of service or whole of life costs.
- Technique utilises Council’s approved materials list.
- Consultation, with Council, shall be undertaken prior to a full alternative design being undertaken to ensure that the alternative design is one that Council considers will meet its asset management and service delivery requirements
- For Council works, Council's procurement processes shall also be followed.
CS-1.15.2 Alternative Construction Approval Procedure
The following shall apply:
- Capital or Operational Works Environment
- Application for consideration of an alternative construction technique shall be undertaken in accordance with the terms associated with the tender documents or the relevant conditions of contract.
- The application shall, as a minimum, answer the criteria referenced in CS-1.15.1 Alternative Construction Proposals and be agreed to by the relevant asset and project manager.
- Greenfield or Comprehensive Land Use Environment
- Application for consideration of an alternative construction technique during construction shall be included in the application for a Development Works Approval.
- The application shall, as a minimum, answer the criteria referenced in CS-1.15.1 Alternative Construction Proposals and approval of an alternative construction method applies only to the use of the alternative construction technique or material forming part of that specific site i.e. each alternative construction method is matched to the specific needs of the proposal or site and no precedent is set for use in other general sites not included as part of this approval.
Definitions in this section