All practitioners involved with construction shall, at all times, comply with their duties and obligations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.
Where the Site and the Contract Works are under a Contractor’s management or control, the Contractor shall ensure, as is reasonably practicable, that the Site and Contract Works (including the means of entering and exiting the Site and anything arising from the Site) are without risks to the health and safety of any persons.
- The Contractor shall ensure, as is reasonably practicable, that the health and safety of the following is not put at risk from the carrying out of the Contract Works:
- Workers involved in carrying out the Contract Works;
- Workers whose activities in carrying out work are influenced or directed by the Contractor; and
- Any other person;
- The Contractor shall have in place and operate throughout the carrying out of the Contract Works:
- Ongoing hazard and risk identification and mitigation processes;
- Proper procedures for dealing with emergencies that may arise; and
- An effective drug and alcohol policy that applies to its workers, which must provide for a valid random testing programme.
The Contractor shall comply with all other health and safety requirements specified in the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and the Construction Contract relating to the project.
CS-1.4.1 Council Pre-Qualification Scheme
For Council related projects, Council has teamed up Bay of Plenty and Waikato councils to work within a Contractor pre-qualification process for health and safety. This process is set up to ensure Councils are using contractors who operate with effective health and safety management systems and are holding current and relevant insurances.
This system helps Council to meet its responsibilities to ensure that contractors have effective health and safety management systems to prevent harm to people and the environment or damage to property, whether they are:
- Working for Council.
- Working on Council assets.
- Supplying services.
For more information on this process please refer to Council Pre-Qualification Scheme
Definitions in this section